Sunday, September 13, 2009

Kids buy shit

I just watched a really interesting documentary about marketing to kids, posted on Sociological Images.

Consuming Kids: The Commercialization of Childhood

We didn't have a TV growing up, so I only ever got to watch commercial free videos (usually from the public library) at home or PBS (Sesame Street and so on) at my friend's house. I would never give up TV now that I'm an adult. If I lived alone I might give it up in it's purest form (i.e. on an actual TV) but I would definitely still watch on my computer. And I am not ashamed to admit that some days I just want to come home and watch stupid reality television to rot my brain for a while.

But! I have to admit that I think my parents made the right call with keeping TV out of our home when I was a kid. If I had kids (god forbid) I'm pretty sure I wouldn't keep a TV in the house either.

No comments: