Thursday, November 22, 2007

Giving Thanks

Taking a few minutes to reflect on things before I get caught up in craziness.

I am thankful that it is raining.

I am thankful that my roommate finally dumped out and cleaned the pot of grease that that she left festering on our stove for the past month.

I am thankful that I am in graduate school, even if it is hard.

I am thankful for old friends who made it so hard to leave California, and I am thankful for new friends who have made it easier to leave California.

I am thankful for the feminists that came before me and fought the good fight.

I am thankful that I have the right to vote, own property, be educated, hold a job, pick who and if I marry.

I am thankful for my parents, who did their best to counteract the onslaught of messages telling me I'm a sex object, a baby maker, inherently bad at math and science, the sum total of my tits and uterus, and an uppity bitch if I stand up and say otherwise.

I am thankful for the feminists now who continue to fight the good fight.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm thankful for beer.

I am thankful for clean drinking water.

I am thankful for modern science, not only as my raison d'etre, but also for allowing me to control when and if I have children, for protecting me from rabies, hepatitis B, diptheria, tetnus, measles, mumps, rubella, for antibiotics, and for this computer I am typing on.

2 comments:

Adam said...

I'm thankful you went to school in California.

I'm also thankful for spam bots who hop from blog to blog, leaving a trail back to wonderful authors of blogs like Trichloroethane.

m.wise said...

those all seem like very good things to be thankful for.
and we wish you were still here in california, enlightening our little group of friends.