Monday, August 20, 2007

I Am Alive!

So today was my first official graduate school function, an all day ethics class (the second half is tomorrow).

I have to say, the class itself was very interesting and we got to watch part of And the Band Played On which was pretty great (except for the part where Gandalf dies of AIDS) and made me even more starry-eyed about starting at the C.D.C. next week.

Unfortunately, the students in the class weren't quite what I was expecting. I thought it would be all (or mostly) first year students like me but in fact it was a large classroom full of people who knew people and assembled into little clique-y groups. Which made me feel sad and friendless.

Luckily for me, an ex-co-worker is visiting the C.D.C. this week on business and we got together for dinner and dessert with a third ex-co-worker who just moved to Atlanta and is now working at the C.D.C.

I can't even explain what an overwhelming relief it was to see familiar faces. People who know me! People who care about my existence! I've felt invisible for two weeks now and all of a sudden I feel so.. substantive.

Like I can make it one more week before the semester starts.

No comments: