Friday, August 18, 2006

The Real Reason I went to Berkeley

There should be a rule that your college education includes on spectacular roommate.

Okay, maybe not a rule but if you graduated from college without this person then you’re living an essentially meaningless life.

This is the person who you met totally randomly and ended up bonding so closely with through semester after semester of living together, pulling stress-fueled all-nighters with hysterical giggling for no other reason than it’s 2 a.m. and you’re ridiculously tired.

These are the people who’ve seen you at your worst and afterwards, watch proudly as you walk at commencement.

With a thousand private jokes and rehashed stories that are still funny, very few people in this world are going to make you laugh as hard.

My person has this story she likes to tell about coming home from a party one night and at the door, drunkenly whispering to the person seeing her home safe “it’s okay my roommate will take care of me.” But she’s gone now, I miss her.

I’ve given up on ever finding someone else like her. I could use someone like her to share a hip post-college apartment with indirect lighting and purple curtains. But I know I’m not going to find anyone like that again. So I live alone now instead. Also so I can pee with the door open.

No comments: